Do you go to the YMCA? I joined a couple of weeks ago when I found out that I could do it through work. Do you go to the gym and do your own routine? or do the group classes?
I was going upstairs to the gym where the equipment is and doing my own thing. then I found a couple classes that basically make up my cardio and strength training.
one of the benefits of the YMCA is the program called “program by design.” I have not been to other gyms, but I’m sure they have something similar to this. basically, it is a free service provided by the y from one of the trainers.
today, I had my first meeting with one of the trainers. he meet with me and we discussed what I wanted to get out of the exercising and how he could help me get there. I am a very organized person that needs things wrote down for me and a plan. I like my plans. Ok, I love plans and I stick with plans.
I basically told him that I need something very detailed and options. if I continue to go to my piloxing class and strength training class I shouldn’t need to go upstairs to the gym. but life gets in the way sometimes and I don’t always make it to a class. instead of saying oh well… and never returning (which I have done). I want options. if I don’t go to strength training what equipment could I use upstairs and how many repetitions. if I don’t do piloxing, then I could do treadmill interval training, walking, swimming, or cycling. options are better than anything.
I was very satisfied with the outcome of the meeting today. the trainer was very nice and very informed about what to do. he took in to consideration that I have a life and a family, that going to the gym every day sometimes isn’t possible.
the first meeting is basically to go over everything that I want for a program to stay fit. the next meeting (next Wednesday), is to go over the design that he has made out for me with my options. I am looking forward to seeing what he has designed for me.
have you every had this done, an exercise plan designed for you?
did you enjoy it?
my biggest fear is that I won’t like it and I will be disappointed in myself when I don‘t follow it.
It has happened to all of us. We miss one day at the gym, then two, and bam! it has been a month.
I am in the middle of gym relapse. I have not been to the gym since June 30, 2017.
I NEED TO GET MY ACT TOGETHER!!!! I wrote a similar post yesterday, get my crap together. maybe posting these blogs and admitting I have a problem with help get my act straighten up.
REASONS FOR A GYM RELAPSE
- Obstacles. everyone has them. work, school, kids, time, money etc. find out what your obstacle is and tackle it. mine the past week has been the kid home. he has been with his mother and we unexpectedly had to find a babysitter. yes, it is an excuse. instead of going to work out, come home and get ready and take him to his grandma, I slept in. I used him as an excuse and I should not.
- Boredom. no one likes doing the same thing day in and day out. change up your routine, go to classes, etc. I was not really getting to bored, I was doing body pump 3x a week and the routine changes.
- Benefits. working out has many benefits. remind yourself what those benefits are. getting healthier, losing weight, becoming tone. they all benefit you. without exercising you can not benefit your body.
- Stress, Anxiety, and Depression. I have all three of these. most people have stress in their lives. the stress of the kid coming home and having to deal with the bf mom last week kinda hit me a little hard. my anxiety was up. depression set in due to being at the weight management doctor and only seeing a pound off the scale when I have been working so much harder! i am trying to get myself out of the rump. taking my medications, talking with bf about the stress with his mother, and trying to distress at the gym.
OVERCOMING A GYM RELAPSE
- identifying your obstacles. lay them all out there. write them on a piece of paper. post on a motivation board. i know what my reasons are and I’m going to overcome them.
- obstacle is kid being home. go to bed early, get up early, come home in time to take to grandma. just plan, everything will be fine.
- boredom should not be a problem since the body pump routine just was changed
- benefits. i was losing weight. i could feel it in my clothes! i was feeling better! i want that again.
- stress, anxiety, and depression. take my medications. use the stress and anxiety as a motivator at the gym.
- support. everyone goes thru a gym relapse. even athletics. join your friends at the gym to make yourself more accountable plus have someone with you.
- avoid being a “Debbie downer.” my mom always would say that to me, i still say it. basically means, stop being negative about everything. make your exercise routine happen.
- temporary. a gym relapse is just that, temporary. it is not permeant. i can pick up tomorrow. don’t think that just because you missed one day, two, or a month that you can not get back in the gym.
- I’m ready to get back in the gym.
- pack my workout bag the night before AS WELL AS my work bag. that way I am ready to get up in the morning.
- if i can not make a 5 am class.. go to the one at night.
- try other classes, for example the swim classes at the gym in the next town over.
- go to bed early so the excuse of not getting enough sleep isn’t an excuse
- meet up with the girl i work with at the gym, she is doing the same weight management class i am.
- prevent the stress in my life! or at least limit it. try not to let everything bother me. this is going to be a lot harder than normal.
- anxiety/depression. take my medications, it will help and exercise was making me feel even better about myself.
- it is only temporary. i will be fine. i just took a week off, does not mean that i am a failure.
Do you have any advice?
Has this happened to you?
It has been one of those weeks. well, like three weeks lately. I have not been doing very well on my health journey. I am still exercising. I am walking every day. I just am not putting a lot of effort into my exercising. I am also watching what I am eating but I am not sticking to my shakes and bars like I should be. why? I’m not sure. I want to say it is all stress/anxiety related but I know there is more. lack of motivation? lack of seeing the numbers go done?
my stress/anxiety has been thru the roof lately because it is the last week of school. yes, I know I shouldn’t be under that much stress but this Saturday the kid leaves to go to his moms for two months. two whole months. aware from his dad and I. two months three states away. it is scary. every possible wrong thing goes thru my head. i’m barely sleeping because i’m worrying. i’m not getting anything done in the house because I am so anxious I can’t concentrate. I am not doing my 110% at work because I am anxious.
anyone that asks why I am so anxious, I tell them he is my kid. my kid is leaving for two months. what am I going to do with myself? his dad is trying to focus on other things… work, fishing, friends, family etc. Anything to not think about him not having his baby boy around.
in the last couple of weeks we have been trying to get as much things in as possible to spend time with him. we don’t want him to go and worry about it constantly but we are not letting him now that it is bothering us. he knows we are going to miss him but he does not know it is because of the situation with his mother.
with all the stress/anxiety i’m just not myself. when I’m stressed I do stupid things. like everyone really. I pick fights with my bf. I pick fights with my mom. I take out my frustrations and anxiety on anyone that is close. it is not a healthy way to express myself I know, but it is the way I can get it out there. I also have neglected myself. i’m not doing my health journey, i’m not doing any tasks on my to do list.
I keep telling myself, it will be ok. on Saturday he will go with his mom. everything will be ok. in the back of my mind tho, I think that I am going to be ok but then again…I think about the two months that he will not be around to share things with.
I will get thru this.