It has happened to all of us. We miss one day at the gym, then two, and bam! it has been a month.
I am in the middle of gym relapse. I have not been to the gym since June 30, 2017.
I NEED TO GET MY ACT TOGETHER!!!! I wrote a similar post yesterday, get my crap together. maybe posting these blogs and admitting I have a problem with help get my act straighten up.
REASONS FOR A GYM RELAPSE
- Obstacles. everyone has them. work, school, kids, time, money etc. find out what your obstacle is and tackle it. mine the past week has been the kid home. he has been with his mother and we unexpectedly had to find a babysitter. yes, it is an excuse. instead of going to work out, come home and get ready and take him to his grandma, I slept in. I used him as an excuse and I should not.
- Boredom. no one likes doing the same thing day in and day out. change up your routine, go to classes, etc. I was not really getting to bored, I was doing body pump 3x a week and the routine changes.
- Benefits. working out has many benefits. remind yourself what those benefits are. getting healthier, losing weight, becoming tone. they all benefit you. without exercising you can not benefit your body.
- Stress, Anxiety, and Depression. I have all three of these. most people have stress in their lives. the stress of the kid coming home and having to deal with the bf mom last week kinda hit me a little hard. my anxiety was up. depression set in due to being at the weight management doctor and only seeing a pound off the scale when I have been working so much harder! i am trying to get myself out of the rump. taking my medications, talking with bf about the stress with his mother, and trying to distress at the gym.
OVERCOMING A GYM RELAPSE
- identifying your obstacles. lay them all out there. write them on a piece of paper. post on a motivation board. i know what my reasons are and I’m going to overcome them.
- obstacle is kid being home. go to bed early, get up early, come home in time to take to grandma. just plan, everything will be fine.
- boredom should not be a problem since the body pump routine just was changed
- benefits. i was losing weight. i could feel it in my clothes! i was feeling better! i want that again.
- stress, anxiety, and depression. take my medications. use the stress and anxiety as a motivator at the gym.
- support. everyone goes thru a gym relapse. even athletics. join your friends at the gym to make yourself more accountable plus have someone with you.
- avoid being a “Debbie downer.” my mom always would say that to me, i still say it. basically means, stop being negative about everything. make your exercise routine happen.
- temporary. a gym relapse is just that, temporary. it is not permeant. i can pick up tomorrow. don’t think that just because you missed one day, two, or a month that you can not get back in the gym.
- I’m ready to get back in the gym.
- pack my workout bag the night before AS WELL AS my work bag. that way I am ready to get up in the morning.
- if i can not make a 5 am class.. go to the one at night.
- try other classes, for example the swim classes at the gym in the next town over.
- go to bed early so the excuse of not getting enough sleep isn’t an excuse
- meet up with the girl i work with at the gym, she is doing the same weight management class i am.
- prevent the stress in my life! or at least limit it. try not to let everything bother me. this is going to be a lot harder than normal.
- anxiety/depression. take my medications, it will help and exercise was making me feel even better about myself.
- it is only temporary. i will be fine. i just took a week off, does not mean that i am a failure.
Do you have any advice?
Has this happened to you?