do you love recipes that are filling, taste delicious, and are healthy for you? then you should try this recipe of guilt free pesto chicken spaghetti squash that I made tonight.
- chicken breasts, enough to feed your family. I did 3 but they were small. cut into cubes
- pesto sauce
- spaghetti squash
- mozzarella cheese or a cheese you prefer
- ricotta cheese
- Italian seasoning
- one egg
- mushrooms (optional)
- onions (optional)
- salt, pepper to taste
- prepare your spaghetti squash. what I have found is best is to take your squash and poke holes down the center and put into the microwave for about 5 minutes. depending on how big and thick you might have to do more time.
- cut your squash open, scrap out all the seeds and gunk. sprinkle with olive oil and Italian seasoning.
- put into the oven until it is soft enough you can poke a fork thru it. about 20-30 minutes.
- when ready, use a fork to make into spaghetti
- cook your chicken breasts that you have cut up into cubes. i added onions to mine. once cooked mixed with pesto sauce. use as much or as little as you want depending on your taste preference.
- make your ricotta filling, about 1 cup of ricotta. you can use more depending on if you have larger family dish to make or large amount of spaghetti squash.
- mix one egg, Italian dressing, and ricotta together until smooth
- build your “lasagna”! put the spaghetti squash in the bottom. don’t forget to spray your pan!
- next spread your ricotta layer. if you want to change up the layers go right
- pesto chicken mix
- mushrooms. original recipe i was thinking for tonight did not have mushrooms in it. but when i went to the store and saw these for only 1.99, i knew i needed to have them. put as many or as few as you want on the top. you don’t even have to put them on the top, you can mix into your pesto chicken mix or the ricotta or even the squash. make it your own, it’s guilt free remember 🙂 As you can see, i added a lot because well who doesn’t like mushrooms?!?!?
- top with mozzarella cheese. at first i planned for sprinkle cheese…until i saw i had mozzarella slices.
- cover with alumina foil and place into the oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and boiling.
- uncover and cook for about 10-15 more minutes until nicely browned.
- serve with slice of bread or a nice salad